Friday, October 24, 2008

YUMMY!

(Doesn't the apple pie filling look pretty in the jar)

So my wonderful sister-in-law Nancy invited me over to can apple pie filling. I had never canned this before and am still relatively new to the whole canning process. But it was so much fun. However, I don't think I would like canning without someone there to talk to. Michael played with his cousin most of the time and had a blast, so we were free to can. Even Emma was happy to just be in the carrier on my back. So the next day I had to test it out to see how it would taste. I made apple crisp from it. Now, I am really not an apple pie person (although I do like desserts so it was worth a try) but this I LOVED! So yummy!

For those canners out there here is the recipe:

Apple Pie Filling
Makes enough syrup for 6 quarts

4 ½ cups of sugar (or 2 cups honey)
1 cup of cornstarch
2 tsp cinnamon
¼ tsp nutmeg
1 tsp salt
3 Tbsp lemon juice
10 cups water

In a large pot, whisk together dry ingredients (first 5.) Work out the cornstarch lumps until they are blended in the sugar. Add water. Stir over med-high heat until thickens and boils then add lemon juice. Fill jars with apples, pour syrup over and water bath for 20-25 minutes.


Apple Crisp Topping

½ cup rolled oats
½ cup flour
½ cup butter
½ cup sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1 beaten egg
Pinch salt
Sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar

Combine the rolled oats, flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Mix well. Then add the butter and beaten egg. Work together with a fork. Put 1 qt of apple pie filling in bottom of casserole dish. Place crisp topping on top. Sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.

(And here's the end result, very yummy!)

2 comments:

Brown Family said...

Too bad you're not closer so you can share some of that with us! :)

Andrea said...

Looks and sounds very yummy. I'll have to try it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...