Monday, October 6, 2008

Sleep Deprived

So if any one has tips on how to get at 2 year old to sleep through the night, please let me know. The last 3 weeks I have felt like a zombie. Each night has been a battle to get Michael to sleep. I finally had to do the Supper nanny approach to get him to go to bed at night. The first night it took 1 hour of him getting out of bed and me putting him right back. The next night 15 minutes of it, and still it continues 15 minutes each night. If that was it, I would be happy, but I get woken up, at say 2am, and then have to repeat the process, and on "special" nights this happens up to 2 more times. Not to mention I have a teething 4 month old who is up more than usual too. I have tried cuddling with him, I have tried explaining not to come out until the sun comes up, and I have tried the supper nanny approach at night. I know I should cherish these times, as the talk in confernce said, that some day I will look back and miss it. But right now, I just want some sleep so I can be a happy mom and a coherent person.

3 comments:

Brown Family said...

It seems EVERY child on the planet has to test the limits when it comes to sleeping! :) My kids have been great sleepers after a lot of effort doing the BabyWise thing. (I'd loan you the book but someone else I loaned it to didn't return it.) Sounds like you're doing a good job of just putting him right back to bed.

One thing we did, that I thought sounded mean when I first heard it, but it has worked wonderfully is to put a lock on the outside of their door. That way they realize they're locked in and there's no point in staying awake if you can't go get mommy and daddy ... When some friends told us the idea I thought maybe it was mean, but then that night Paul exchanged the locks so we could do that. I can now say that I am a believer!

the Rowleys said...

I do have BabyWise, and used it for Michael as a baby. I liked it for getting a set routine that I could count on but it never helped him with the sleeping.

Brown Family said...

Hmmm, that's what I used BabyWise for was the sleeping. Sorry it didn't work for him! Hopefully what you're doing will work quickly so you can get a bit more sleep. A tired mom usually isn't a good thing. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...