Thursday, October 9, 2008

The Adventures of a Two Year Old

Today as I was busy in the office, I heard Michael going into the bathroom. Then I heard the toliet flush and water running. I thought. Great, he is going to the bathroom without needing a reminder. Then I kept hearing running water and thought that Michael was playing in the sink. So I got up to go and stop him from playing and have him finish washing his hands. I opened the bathroom door to find Michael with the plunger in his hands and about 1/4 inch of water covering the entire bathroom floor and still flowing from the toilet! We have a very sensitite toilet that can not handle much. On top of that Michael will unroll the entire roll of TP and put it down the toilet. Usually I catch it in time to fish out the TP and plunger the toilet. But this time I was too late. I quickly called Kent and learned that there is a shut off valve behind the toilet. Luckly too, Kent had his wet vac in the shed. So I got to work cleaning up the mess. Not knowing what to do with Michael or how to discipline him, I had him just stand where he was as I took care of the water. Once most of the water was taken care of I thought that as Michael made the mess he could help clean it up. I gave him a towel and told him to wipe up the floor after the wet vac. I meant it to be a punishment, but I think he rather enjoyed it. Once it was all cleaned up he got a quick bath and told to never put tp in the toilet without mom or dad around (a nice lecture just like my dad would do:). I guess I will now have to hide the tp. So if you are a guest at my house, please know that we do have tp, it is just hidden from michael, so look under the sink. :)
I am sure that each one of you have some funny story about your children doing something equalily frustrating or worse, so please share. It would make my frustrating day better to hear that others have been there too. :)

2 comments:

Brown Family said...

Ugh! I'm telling you, it's boys!!! I don't care how great of a parent you are, boys make messes. We often wonder why we wanted to own a house when the boys will just ruin it. We've had bathrooms flooded out twice now as well. Once we were getting ready for a walk when Tyler ran to go potty. A little into our walk Zachary needed to go potty, which is a wonderful thing this time, because when we came home we found the sink plugged with the water running full blast. Because Zachary needed to go potty quickly it wasn't too bad. Phew!

Another morning I heard the boys in the upstairs bathroom playing with water in the sink. I didn't mind them doing this, because usually they kept it pretty under control. However, this morning Paul said, "It sounds like water is running." I told him the boys were just playing in the sink. He went to check and told them to get out of the bathroom immediately, so I ran to see, and the entire floor was flooded with at least an inch of water. Needless to say, I don't know how the sheetrock survived that one! We had water dripping down to the level below, so we had messes all over to clean up!

And those are just the water stories. :) Let's just imagine our boys are "creative." Sounds like Michael was trying to be resourceful, though, with the plunger and all ... my boys were just trying to have some fun. Fortunately for the most part their curiosity (in that regard) has ceased!

Andrea said...

Now you have plumbing experience!

Allen loves marshmallows. I told him that when he sits on the potty to practice he will get some (and of course he screams, "No, No" and runs -- I don't know when he'll potty train. Maybe before Kindergarten??) Anyway, yesterday morning I came downstairs and Allen was watching Thomas and eating a whole bag of marshmallows. I have no idea where he got it because Ross got up with him, fed him and put a movie on and I came down later. I guess he needs more supervision in the morning.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...