Tuesday, March 31, 2009

How We Met

It was a typical drizzly Seattle day. I was dying to meet my new baby, and had already experienced many Braxton hicks. I had just been to see my mid-wife and on the way home I decided to stop by a local baby store and buy an outfit for my baby that was girly, just in case they were right and she really was a girl. A few hours later the contractions started, but I didn’t believe it, I had been too excited before. But they kept coming and getting stronger. But still nothing I couldn’t deal with. I learned that if I did a hula-hoop motion with my hips the contractions were very manageable. Yet, I did call my mid-wife who happened to be an hour away and told her what was happening. She said she would check on me when she arrived back in town to see if this was the real thing. I also called my sister-in-law to let her know that this possibly could be it. She came and saw me chatting and totally with it, pausing a few moments for the contractions, and she said “oh, you’re having too much fun, it’s hard to tell between Braxton hicks, but this can’t be real labor.” Shortly after, around 9:00 pm my mid wife arrived and said, “Yes, the baby is coming tonight.”

So the pool got set up in the family room, with warm water filling it up. As soon as it was high enough I got right in. I have always loved the effects of warm water, and laboring in the warm pool was wonderful. As the contractions got stronger and closer together I learned that if I let my body float in the water the contractions were very slight and it gave me the rest I needed and the strength to get back to work. I took some much needed breaks this way, but never let them go to long, I was anxious to meet my baby!

I was much more alert this time than with my first baby’s birth, enjoying the conversation around me, even though I was not able to participate in it much. They were telling funny stories about people and funny situations. It helped me focus on their stories so I didn’t focus on the pain. The nice backrubs and warm water pored on my back helped a lot, as well as being able to squeeze my husbands hand as hard as I wanted. I felt pampered and was going to take every advantage of it! The lights were dimmed, my favorite classical music played in the background, people spoke in hushed voices, and the aroma of the rose scented candles all combined to help me feel warm and at peace.

As things got harder I started to chant “out, out, OUT!” And I heard my husband comment “It’s enough to make me not want to have kids again, so she doesn’t have to go through the pain.” But by that time I was in my own world, focused on getting the baby out and doing all I could to make it happen. I was in the pool, in my favorite birthing position, hands and knees. The mid-wife kept telling me a few more pushes and she is out, just take it slow. After my son’s birth, I knew that I could endure the pain; I would deal with it happily to make sure all went well and soon it would all be over. My midwife offered to break my water, I thought about it through the next two contractions, and when I finally decided to do it (I knew it would bring more pain, but also a faster delivery) the opportunity was gone. But my baby soon arrived at 12:20 am (a little over 3 hours) and I was able to lift my little girl out of the water and with a loud cry she said hello. After my midwife got a look at her as I held her, I sat up and cradled her in my arms. She instantly was quiet as we looked into each others eyes for the first time, finally happy to meet one another.



2 comments:

Denise said...

Having babies really is wonderful, isn't it? Your atmosphere sounds just like mine -- dimmed lights are the best. Music is good (Hilary's girls were born to Abba). And I'm totally w/you on the water being comfy! I labored as much as possible in the jetted tubs, which all of my hospitals have had. (Yes, three kids and three different hospitals, but I always make sure they have two things: midwife births and jetted tubs! :) We're so glad Emma joined your family.

Kerri said...

Christina, what a beautiful experience!! It's close to what I always imagined (but didn't get with 2 emergency c-sections after LOTS of hours of labor with both). I am inspired by the love and positive experience you've had, and hope to take that into the birth of our 3rd baby (due Aug 13). I need all the positive help i can get, so i'm anxious to email you and adopt some of your beliefs that were inside of me the first time.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...