Wednesday, July 29, 2009

ABC's



So Michael has seen me tutoring his entire life. When we got old enough 1 1/2 years old, he was constantly trying to sit in the tutoring chair and have me "tutor" him. When he turned 3 I decided I had better get to it and "tutor" Michael. So I set aside time about 4 days a week (usually, there are exceptions) that Michael get's to do tutoring. He has the rules memorized from tutoring other students. So he sits down and recites the rules (he is hallarious!). I decided that I would work with Michael on identifying the letters. So I introduce the letter, do a letter hunt around the house, color some pictures, use our cutting skills and learn shapes as we create a project that begins with that letter, and lastly to finish it off, Michael gets to help create an upper and lower case letter to put on our wall. We are currently working on the letter F. It has been a fun time for Michael to get some one on one with me, and to enjoy the learning process together. I just recently added his "writers notebook" to our tutoring. There he "writes" and draws a picture, and then I write the story down too. :) He is just such a blast, and loves everyone minute of it. When it is time to start he says "It's time to tutor ME?!"

The Elephant Michael made on the letter E

2 comments:

Kerri said...

WOW!!!!!!!! What a Mom and Teacher at work!!!! I always thought I'd apply what we learned in school to my own kids, but didn't realize the energy it may take to just do it! So I'm inspired by your ideas and doing this with Michael! What a great idea!

Brown Family said...

One more idea, when you get through the letters and want to review:

Save old magazines, and then go through and cut out pictures that start with that letter. Even if I did the cutting out with my boys, they loved to glue them on. Then we put their "creations" into a 3-ring binder, and they could look at the page (which had a big letter on it to remind them of the letter) and all the things we found that start with that letter. My boys loved their binders (even though we never got through the entire alphabet), and it was small and easy to store.

Good luck!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...