Monday, July 13, 2009

Family Mission Statement

So I have been enjoying reading the Simple Mom blog (found in my list of sites I like to visit). And her new assignment was to create a family mission statement. I have been meaning to do this and by having the "assignment" it gave me the motivation to get it done. So Kent and I had a good time sitting down and going through our priorities and goals that we wanted to set for our family. I figure doing it while the kids were young, would set the precedence so we can teach it to them now and use it as a tool down the road to help us as a family make decisions. So we are nearing the end of it, I just like to sit on it and see if any more changes come to me. When it is done I'll share it. But I was wondering do you have a Family Mission statement? How has it helped your family? Any suggestions about writing one?

3 comments:

Brown Family said...

We haven't done one yet -- probably because working in cube environments has soured us to mission statements! :)

My advise is to keep it very short. Long mission statements can become confusing and include unnecessary verbiage, which your kids won't appreciate or understand. Stick to the basics and I'm sure you'll come up with a winner!

Andrea said...

Ours is the acronym ROCK (because I told the kids that our home is built on the ROCK of Christ).
ROCK stands for Responsible, Obedience, Cheerful, Kind which are qualities that we hope to work on to make our home a better place... I made up a song with it and the kids are funny to remind each other. The "C" sometimes times for cooperate too :)

Kerri said...

Hey, I couldn't find your email, so I thought this was the best place to tell you my story--a post that only Christina would love:

I've used Bro Hill's mantra "It's hard, but you can do hard things" every now and then with my kids. Remember that? How entertained we were freshman year with that saying? Well, it stuck...And apparently it's stuck w/ Carter because I just heard him tell a friend, "I can do hard things!" I knew you'd love this story more than any other friend!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...