Sunday, January 31, 2010

Adventures in Food Choices

Have you ever felt like a bunch of little things have come into your life to lead you to a bigger decision in your life. I have felt this many times, and it has happened once again. Currently it is food. I am looking at the food we eat in a new way. It was a bunch of little things that added up to this major decision, changing the way we eat. I mentioned the movie "Food Inc." I recommend it and think people should watch it and know where their food is coming from.

So I am trying to keep in the budget and still buy organic foods. I'm trying to find a balance in this, you could totally go far with this, eliminating, or trying to eliminate all the "toxins" in your life. Me, I've started with more whole grains (not so easy to find organic, so really I've not tried there) and moved to buying organic fruit and veggies. I defiantly don't want to buy meat that is not free range and grass/naturally fed (cows are not meant to eat corn!). So organic meat for me, but Kent is not quite sold on the idea as he likes his meat, and organic meat is EXPENSIVE! I am happy just to reduce our meat intake, but we will have to see where we end up.

So I went to the store and bought all the yummy organic food. Came home and washed and mixed up a wonderful salad. We all sat down to dinner and served up the salad as a side dish. Midway through the dinner I looked up and saw a ladybug on a piece of broccoli in my salad! What do you do? celebrate that nothing in your food has toxins that would kill a ladybug? celebrate the discovery of a cool bug that your kids can look at up close? Be disgusted that there is a bug in your food and worry "are there more?" Well, I did all the above. A hilarious start to our eating revolution. It will be interesting to see where we go from here.

3 comments:

Kerri said...

Oh dear! what a great story to share :) I did watch a food documentary a while back on hulu.com, and it mentioned how years ago, when we were all farming, the world produced over 2,000 different kinds of potatoes. Now--we only make 4. Amazing.

Brown Family said...

Hilarious!!! At least it was a lady bug, which somehow seems less disgusting than an ant or spider. I should look into organic, but produce alone is expensive, let alone organic! For now I'm focusing on eating more fresh produce. Maybe organic will come -- especially if we grow a few things ourselves this year! Good for you!

Carol said...

That is so cute--about the lady bug. I saw a little of Food Inc. in Oprah and was appalled(sp?) that chickens had grown so big in such a short time that their legs wouldn't even support them! While organic, growing our own, and learning all we can about what we eat is best, I have felt for years that the simple blessings we offer before eating protect us in more ways than we know.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...