Friday, August 21, 2009

Sewing Project

So I had this problem. Since all our children books are in bookcase, sideways, Michael will pull out tons til he finds the one he wants, and leaves a mess behind that Emma finds, and has a grand time with. The solution, I thought of those hanging bookcases that I could have sworn we had as teachers, but after spending a couple of hours looking for them on the web, I gave up (I know not much time, but I wasn't going to waste my time!) So I decided to make one myself. I had the idea in my head, I just hoped it would work and made it up as I went along. The end result works just great (I would make a few changes, but hind sight is 20/20 of course). I hung it high enough out of Emma's reach, yes Michael has to get the stool, but he can, and gets to the books he wants. I can monitor him more with the books this way and I figure every week or so I will rotate the books. I have noticed that since I have had the new bookcase up, Michael is only choosing books for there because he can see what they are. I'm just happy it turned out how I visioned and not as a great disaster and waste of money. :)

4 comments:

Andrea said...

Where did you find that pattern? It looks great! Our books are scattered about in boxes, on shelves, in piles... the kids still look through them all but it would be nice to have a little more organization.

Molly said...

What a great idea!!

Kerri said...

This is EXACTLY what we need!!!!!!! I could only think of the pyramid type of shelves that display the books, and I really didn't want to take up that much space in the boys' room. You've changed my life! When things get back in order after baby's born, I'll ask you for more details!!!

PS...Our baby girl is going to be born today at 3 (we've had to do Scheduled C-Section, even after all our attempts for VBAC, but I'm really happy about it...which is surprising from where I began...

Denise said...

You should make some and sell them on etsy. Not a bad way to make an extra few bucks, eh? :)

One day I may start sewing more ... but for now I don't have any cute left-over fabric and I'm too cheap to buy any!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...