Friday, January 30, 2009

Soggy Waffle Saga

So all growing up the waffles we ate were soggy (I just found out that is because that is the way my mom likes them). They were ok at the time and all I knew. Until we went out to eat, and I discovered the yummy crunchy, crisp waffles, YUM! I loved them. But at home all we got were the soggy waffles. When I moved out on my own I bought the pre-made pancake/waffle mix and made waffles, and they too were soggy. I thought that all homemade waffles were soggy and gave up on having homemade waffles. Then I started watching the TV show “Good Eats” and was given a recipe he promised would make the perfect waffles. I tried the long, difficult recipe and once again got the soggy waffles. Alas, no yummy, crunchy waffles.

Now Kent has always liked waffles and would at times ask for me to make them, which I wouldn’t because I hated the soggy waffles. But this last Wednesday it was his birthday and his choice for dinner was bacon, eggs, and waffles. So I pulled out my trusted "Better Homes and Gardens cookbook", looking for a made from scratch waffle recipe because we had no pancake/waffle mix. I looked at their standard one and their fast method one. I decided to make the standard and hope they came out yummy for Kent’s sake. This recipe had me do something I had never done before. Separate the egg yokes from the egg whites and beat the whites until they were stiff and created peaks. I thought ok, here goes nothing. I did it and folded the egg whites into the batter. Then cooked the waffles and…..

The most beautiful, crispy, crunchy, yummy waffles emerged!

It was possible for me to make them at home!

I was so happy, there was MUCH REJOICING! :)

So my soggy waffle saga ends and a new era has begun. Yummy, crunchy waffles here we come. Needless to say we will be having more waffles around our house. Want to come over? I’d love to share. :)

5 comments:

Brown Family said...

And you didn't even share the recipe? :)

I thought soggy vs. crunchy all had to do with how long you cook them. I also like crunchy and just use my pancake mix from Costco. (Love having to add only water.)

But I'll take a home recipe, too.

Happy Birthday to Kent. I've missed all the January b-days since I haven't written them on my new calendar yet. Mind you, it's not like I send cards or call (sometimes I do), but at least I think of that person on that day. :)

Andrea said...

I actually like softer waffles than crispy ones. But it's a texture preference. You'll have to post your recipe.

CharlieJo said...

hooray!! i LOVE waffles. I'm more of a cruchy waffle girl myself. lol. you'll have to share the recipe, mine are usually from scatch (no premade mixes), but I've never tried with mixed egg whites..how fun.

Unknown said...

I just thought that was the way they were when you cook them, too. I'm glad you found a recipe for crisp ones.

Hey, could you post my new blogs on here too?

One is- JanOvation
http://janovation.blogspot.com (about my life and ideas, etc.)

The other is Kidation Station
http://kidation.wordpress.com (This one I am making into a place for kids, and parents to get printable art projects for thier kids to do. I have coloring projects up so far, but plan on a bunch of other "stations". Keep an eye on it for new projects for kids as I put them up.

Becca Benson said...

Hey Christina. How can I be a follower on your blog? I love your backgrounds and will "HAVE" to copy you! Love you and family...they're sooooo cute!
~Becca :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...