Wednesday, January 28, 2009

“In the world but not of the world”

What does this scripture mean to you? I got a new perspective on it the other day while in a cub scout meeting of all places. And it was good for me to hear it. It really got me thinking about it. Previously I had always thought of it as, “we live in the world, we all have to and deal with it, but that we remove ourselves from the worldliness of it and try to raise our family away from the worldliness influences.”

But a good man in the meeting suggested another interpretation. He said that for him and his family he saw it as a call to serve in the world. To be involved in non-church good things and to be an example to others who may not otherwise be involved with church members. He thought that too many good LDS families are withdrawing themselves from the community and therefore losing the missionary opportunities that are needed out there. His comment was about families not wanting to send their boys to cub scout day camp, but also suggested that many are home schooling their kids, and only having their kids do church centered activities. True those could be enough to keep anyone busy, but that families that do that do not come in contact with non members who need to hear the gospel. His view is to keep his kids in public school, go to community cub scouting events that are not church organized, and to be involved in community sports, etc. And by doing that people get to know them and their family and they can then share the gospel with them.

Now I would have to be the most guilty person out there in his view, I usually only do church events and not much else. Even growing up I would have lesson about inviting non-member friends to things, and I really didn’t develop close bonds with non-members (only a few wonderful people made it in to my shy, quiet world) enough to invite them to activities. And now really my life is centered around the church, I am kept plenty busy with my family and church callings. In fact I can only name one thing I go to that is not church sponsored.

His views have really urged me to try to be more involved in my community, and to seek out ways to come in contact with more “neighbors.” It is hard as I am really a quiet, shy person until I really get to know someone, but his words had an affect on me. I do still plan to home school (I love teaching and would never give up such a wonderful experience to anyone else) but I can also make a point to be more involved.

Now I hope that anyone reading this understands that the “not of the world’ still applies, but that we can actually be IN the world and not just living in it.

So please share with me your thoughts on this view point. Have you thought this the entire time? Am I the only one with the covers over my head? Anyways it was a good lesson for me to hear and I thought I would share it with you.

4 comments:

Denise said...

I think it's always a good reminder to get involved. However, I wouldn't beat yourself up -- I can think of more than one thing you've done recently outside of the church. You also have to realize that the years with young kids doesn't afford much time outside the house anyway, so even if they are all church-centered, you're fine.

Even with homeschooling, though, there are homeschool groups where you can get involved and make a difference to other people. Getting to know your neighbors is another easy one. (You're doing this through your homeowner's association, too.)

I believe we should keep this in mind as we each do what is best for our individual families. But after working in public affairs for the church for years, I will say that you have no idea how easy it is to be an example without preaching ...

Andrea said...

I agreed with your first definition as I read it, but as I read the second, it made complete sense too. I grew up in Utah so the majority of the community was members... kind of a lifestyle thing. Now that I've lived outside of Utah for a few years I can see the important of reaching out to neighbors. How else are all these people going to get in contact with the church? We definitely aren't sending out enough missionaries possible for that to happen... we each have to help. I know I feel guilty too because I'm shy about it too but overtime I hope to improve.

Also, you are going to home school? Good for you. I could never do that with Allen. He has the personality to leave home, be with friends... and he loves other adults rather than just me. So school is the place for him. But (with my degree) I will know how to reinforce learning in the home :)

Bethany said...

Thank you for this topic Christina! I have enjoyed visiting your blog so much because of your thoughtful ideas and respectful way of presenting them.

I also always thought of "be in the world" as simply meaning that we live on earth, but I love your new insight into it. It is especially meaningful since I am a ward missionary right now and have been working a lot with the full-time missionaries. I really see the importance of all the members getting involved with sharing the gospel--just a few isn't enough to carry all the work there is to do.

Also I agree with Denise about doing what is best for our families. We can be missionary-minded and great examples without burning ourselves out. My wise bishop recently told me to follow the spirit very closely, because even though something is good to do, doesn't mean I have to do it. He cautioned (and I believe it applies to us all) that the Lord doesn't want me exhausted, he wants me fresh and ready to serve. He wants me to rest myself too, not just serve everybody else.

In addition, I love the idea of homeschooling, and I intend to do just that with our kids. My reasons for doing so are not to keep my kids "out of the world", but instead, to fulfill my role as a mother to teach them; both the gospel and many other things. But again, as Denise mentioned, there are tons of great ways to be involved in the community through homeschooling. Some of them offer more opportunity than public school would, simply because of the high level of involvement you already have.

[Public school parents, please know that I respect your decision and appreciate that you are involved and caring and that you too are teaching your children many things, including the gospel. You're just doing it in a different way than I am that works for you. Bravo!]

Unknown said...

That is a great meaning I hadn't really thought of that way. But it is so true, in the fact that we need to keep our eyes and hearts open to sharing the gospel with anyone we come across.

I find that I come across people I can share the gospel with all the time. Sometimes they are someone I don't know very well, but I don't let that stop me.

I had met one lady in a therapy group. I shared some of my poems. She asked about my religion, and when she found out, she wanted the missionaries over right away. She came to ARP with me to help her with a smoking habit. Once she was there she said, "This feels like home. I feel like I'm finally home. She was baptized a few months later.

But some people, I know I'll just make an impression on. Maybe they will mull it over for years, but there was a seed there. There is a couple that are volunteer drivers for me to get to my DR appointments 30 minutes away. When the wife, Dee, came to my door the first time she picked me up, she saw my pictures of Christ on the wall and said, "Oh, you're a Christian. It said I am and that it is great that I'll get to talk to another Christian all the way there. We've talked about Christ every week I go. They are devout Baptists, that doesn't stop me from sharing the gospel with them. I focused on our shared beliefs, then slowly week by week,explained some differences. Shortly after the conference issue of the Ensign came out, I brought it and explained that we have a prophet and apostles on earth today, and that the talks given at conference are considered scripture to me. I asked if I could read some to him. I chose one that talked about the plan of salvation and read a good portion to him. He even slowed down when we were pulling in to the parking lot so he could hear more. When we reached the door, I stopped reading. And he said, "Oh, I just love reading scripture." I have requested them for every ride, so we continue to have our chats. They even invited me to come to an open tallent night at their church and read some of my poetry. I thought, what a great missionary opportunity to a whole congregation! I haven't gone yet, but maybe soon.

There is also an inactive member who was baptized and became overwhelmed and left. She is having the missionaries over and is coming to ARP with me.

I think we just have to keep our hearts open to sharing the gospel with anyone we happen across and the opportunities will present themselves.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...