Monday, February 23, 2009

The Language of the Internet

So I feel very new to these new modes of communication. I just started with facebook and blogging in ummm… I think late September, early October. And at first I thought, great it will be like emailing… but oh I was so wrong. I think like everything else, there is also a learning curve with learning the language of communication via the internet. It is not like picking up the phone and catching up on the last 5 years with someone. It’s hard to have back and forth dialogue with people. Or so I have found. And everyone has busy lives that one may have to wait a while before seeing updates, and receiving replies.

But I am thankful for those who have helped me with this learning curve. So I am able to learn the communication. It is much different, but still good. I am so glad to be able to have the communication to see how different friends and family members are doing, to be able to get glimpses in their lives. I still miss the more personable communication, such as face to face and phone calls. Yet, those are harder and harder for me these days with little ones. But I am oh so thankful for all this new technology. Thanks to it I have been able to reconnect with two friends who I haven’t seen, and actually lost touch with, for many years. What fun it was to find them and to actually realize that they were close by. I am so grateful that we had the chance to find each other and get together. And to think if we hadn’t had these modes of communication, we would be living near each other and never had known it.

I saw something on the news the other day about “Twitter” a faster way to communicate via the internet, sesh... I think I will stick with facebook and blogging for now until I get a better grip on these. I’m sure more and more modes of communication are on the horizon and soon I too will learn there language. But for now I’ll enjoy what I have and understand. :)

2 comments:

Denise said...

Facebook has connected me with old friends as well, and it's kinda weird to have one place to be in touch with high school friends, college friends, mission friends, single-adult friends and neighbors all at once!

However, I LOVE blogging. I feel like it gives us glimpses into each others' lives you didn't always get in e-mail. Yes, good ol' phone calls are ideal, but how many times can you interrupt your conversation to address your kids without totally annoying the other person?!? Thank goodness for technology! I'm glad we have so many modes to stay in touch, because I just don't think I'd ever ride a horse to visit you. Sorry, but no way!!

(The horse comment comes from me just typing my grandma's bio today, and they didn't have a car and had to ride a horse and/or buggy to church ...)

Andrea said...

Yes, blogging is awesome. Facebook is okay. I haven't heard of Twitter yet. ... I'm a little curious.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...