Saturday, February 14, 2009

If I’d Only Known!

So I’m a bit behind in the news of our life. And actually I have been saving this blogging story, not wanting to jinx myself. But there is grand news. Emma is sleeping through the night! How did it happen, I know your asking yourself (ok, probably not, but I’m going to tell you anyways ;)

It all started with Kent’s birthday. One of his gifts was the gift of moving Emma out of our room. I was willing to give him (and me) the space, and sacrifice stumbling across the house in the middle of the night to get Emma before she woke up Michael and bring her back to our bed to nurse her and then walk to the other side of the house again to put her to bed. And as it was she we needing to be fed 2 or 3 times each night, so to me that was a sacrifice, but I was willing to do it for my loving, wonderful husband.

In addition to our needing space Michael was also getting lonely. Every morning he would sneak into our room and on our bed. I knew he was thinking that everyone else slept in this room why couldn’t he? And I had told him that eventually Emma would sleep in his room. I’m sure he had ideas of grand parties together.

So I told Kent this gift, and the next day he helped me move the crib and rearrange the furniture. We set it all up and Michael was so excited to have her in his room. So the next day I realized that Emma was taking 2 hour naps instead of a 1 hour nap. Maybe being away from the laundry room and the kitchen helped with this. And because of her longer naps, she was only eating every 4 hours instead of every 3 hours. Sure it’s only an hour difference, but to me it is all the difference in the world! I love it. And then she started going 6 hours at night instead of 4 hours at night! I only had to wake up 1 time in the middle of the night. That lasted about 3 nights. And then…. she slept through the entire night going from 7:30pm to 6:00am! I had felt so very rested the next day. This happened for 3 nights and then she slept all the way to 8am! I couldn’t believe it, and was actually a little worried (I do worry too much).

But there you have it. Emma is taking longer naps during the day and sleeping way better at night. If I’d only known that all I had to do was move her into another room I would have done this awhile ago. Now I will have to remember this for the next child. If I forget with all the sleep depravation of the next baby will someone please remind me?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

GREAT! Do you have more energy now?

I don't know if Mom used to say this to you, but when I was little, the boys seemed to be up and noisy in their bedroom, while I was trying to get to sleep at alone in mine. When I complained about all the commotion to Mom, she used to say, "Oh, they're just having a "dog party" (referring to the book, Go Dogs Go. I thought I was really missing out. Later I found out they were just having a hard time getting along and arguing.

Andrea said...

I'm so glad that you are getting more sleep -- and Emma too.

Brown Family said...

Soooo glad that worked for you. I don't know how ANYONE sleeps with a baby in their rooms -- babies are such noisy sleepers!

I was surprised Emma was still waking up so much, so I'm glad she has proven to you she is definitely old enough to sleep through the night now. I don't think this is a lesson you'll soon forget ... and I'd be happy to lend you BabyWise for the next baby so you can get a full night's sleep MUCH sooner. :)

the Rowleys said...

Thanks Denise, but I have BabyWise. I used it on Michael and he still didn't sleep until 6 months when I had to do the let him cry it out method. So I didn't use it with Emma. I may try it again with the next child. We'll see. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...