Saturday, April 30, 2011

What would you do...

If the missionaries came knocking on your door not knowing your were a member?  Would you pretend to be interested?  The thought crossed my mind for a few seconds or so, but with a screaming, hungry baby in my arms and thinking it would be bad to waste their time, I didn't.

But I do wonder, this is the second time it has happened to me (different house/wards).  Has this happened to anyone else?  The nice missionaries, who both times have been on splits and new in the ward too, have somehow missed the BYU alumni sticker on the back of my car along with the BYU antenna ball on the antenna.  I'm sure they would have noticed if they had stepped into my home, but with my hubby away I knew they couldn't come in anyways.

So what did I do... I smiled explained I was a member and apologized that they didn't know me most likely because I have a newborn and haven't been to church for awhile, I promise that I will come back!  Then with a screaming babe in arms I explained I had to feed him and said good-bye.

But next time if there isn't a screaming baby, maybe I will pretend for a little bit?  Is that bad?

3 comments:

The Lybbert Family said...

A few weeks ago, the missionaries knocked on my door. They recognized me, and I saw a brief look of Oh!. They politely told me they were thirsty and asked if they could have a glass of water. I thought it was little funny.

Kerri said...

I've seen the missionaries tracting on my street, and before they could ring my doorbell, i ran out and offered them lunch -- I even gave them a guarantee to go knock for 30 minutes and the homemade pizza would be done...and it WAS! Steve sold & managed security systems for 4 years, so when we get a security dude, yeah, I listen to see how their door approach is and after pointing out our ADT system, we then give pointers of improving their sale technique. It's fun -- when we have the time. but with the missionaries -- I'd cave and tell them I was a member so that they could feel comfortable and know they aren't alone on that street, and give them a drink or whatever they needed.

Denise said...

As a former missionary I can tell you the thought of being offered a drink or snack would be great! If nothing else, send them on with a thanks for their work and let them know you'd love to help follow-up with any neighbors they find who are interested. (Missionaries generally don't know where members live unless they've eaten dinner on them, so don't be too hard on 'em. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...