Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Confession

I have a confession; I have realized and accepted that I am not a super-mom when it comes to newborns (ok not ever, but especially not with newborns).  I can’t have a baby and then show up at church the next Sunday.  I can’t be out and about with my newborn and comfortably nurse in public nor drop everything and change a diaper in the middle of the room.  I am just not the best at picking up where I left off right after the baby is born.  I know many women who are, and I have had to acknowledge that I am just not one of them. 

So when Adorable was coming, I knew this and knew that if I was going to be a happy mom and the best mom that I could be to Adorable, Gorgeous, and Handsome that I would have to “take a break” from the world and focus on my number one responsibility and calling at the time, Motherhood, especially mother to a newborn.

So I told my friends that I would see them in 2 months, I told my kids we were taking a break from the library, no more play groups for 2 months, no tutoring for 2 months, and yes, I would not even be going to church with my baby for 2 months.  I send Dad with the kids as I stay home with Adorable.  I do as much of my calling at home and on the phone, I just told them that my first calling was to my new baby, and that after 2 months I would be back. 

And I have to say that this time around I have been a much happier, more attentive, better mother to my newborn.  It’s not the easiest stage for me (give me a toddler and I LOVE it!) but it has been so much better this time around. If/when we have another newborn I will of course be "taking a break from the world" once again. :)

2 comments:

Kerri said...

LOVE this idea! It's empowering when you find what YOUR path is and what works for you instead of trying to cram into the box or mold that "everyone else" expects. That's MY mothering downfall. But, there are many ways to be the best and only one YOU to do it.

Denise said...

I have a confession -- I'm not supermom or the superwoman I used to feel I was. I take more and more time each baby to stay home. For me it's not about germs and my fear of them, but about needing some quiet time, which you rarely get with five kids! :) But also remember that when you do go back into public you don't have to let anyone hold your baby. I find a good response to someone asking is, "Nope -- he's just staying with Mommy today."

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...